– Rom. 6:5-14 – Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God… offer every part of yourself to God as an instrument of righteousness
– 1 Cor. 6:14-17,19 – By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.” But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own
– Acts 1:8 – you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you
– John 14:12 – Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.
How can we do the works Jesus did? Because we died and we were born a new creation by the Holy Spirit. It was when Jesus was baptized with the Holy Spirit that He started working in the gifts of the Spirit. It is when His followers are baptized in the Spirit that they begin working in the gifts of the Spirit.
How can we do greater works than Jesus? Jesus was still part man. 6 Billion people cannot see one physical person at one time, but since Jesus now lives in us, He is in multiple places at one time! That’s why He said it was better for Him to go and send us the Spirit. The Spirit is Him without the limitations of a single physical body. Now, we are each a part His body, physically in different places but unified by the Spirit.
Jesus said the baptism that He would bring would be greater than the water baptism of John. That’s why when the day of Pentecost came, they were ‘fire’ baptized with the Holy Spirit and with power! We need to be baptized in the name of the Holy Spirit as well. The gifts of the Spirit are for everyman (1 Cor. 12:7). Our God is a consuming fire. Let Him fill you with passion for His name.
Since we are dead. Let us stay dead! We now belong to the Spirit of Jesus that lives inside of us. The Spirit gives us 3 lists of things: new mindsets, new abilities, and new works. These are all done by the Spirits power and not our own.
9 fruits (or mindsets) of the Spirit: 1)love, 2)joy, 3)peace, 4)patience, 5)kindness, 6)goodness, 7)faithfulness, 8)gentleness, 9)self-control
9 gifts (or abilities) of the Spirit: 1)ability to work miracles, 2)to speak in unknown tongues, 3)to interpretation unknown tongues, 4)to discernment between good and evil, 5)gifts of healing, 6)prophecy, 7)word of wisdom, 8)word of knowledge, 9)faith
9 beattitudes (or works) of the Spirit:
1) Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven
2) Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
3) Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
4) Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
5) Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
6) Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
7) Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
8) Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
9) Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Let the Spirit live in you!
John 6:63 – The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing.
I need the fruit, gifts, and works of the Holy Spirit to be able to operate in love.
Example: One evening I was mad at a friend. I had every intention on waking up the next morning and cussing them out. When I woke up, I had repeated a phrase in tongues 3 times before I realized I had been talking. I woke up enough to realize what I had said. I didn’t know what it meant, but later at work I tried to look it up and it meant ‘no anger’. Freaked me out a little. I’d never had tongues work in that way before, but it kept me from acting in anger. A week later that friend came to know Christ. The gift of the Spirit produced the fruit of the Spirit, and the Spirit did the work in the life of my friend. Hell, the Spirit did the work in me too; I pretty much need a miracle every time I need to produce patience.
In fact, just last night someone prophesied over me about my own generation. The gift of prophesy called up some unforgiveness in me that I needed to let go of, and called me forward to operate in the fruits toward my generation.
Those are 2 examples of how gifts produced fruit in my life, but Jesus shows us that fruit can produce gifts as well:
– Matt. 14:14 – When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.
Do you remember when Jesus went into the temple and flipped the tables (Matt. 21:12)? Jesus says we are the temple of the Holy Spirit. Jesus says He is the Spirit. So, when Jesus comes into us, He flips the tables. That’s how the BeAtitudes work; those who mourn will be comforted. Jesus takes the bad things that happened in your life and turns them around to bless you with a double portion! Those who faced rejection will get a double portion of acceptance when Jesus comes into their lives. Those who were suicidal get a double portion of crazy joy. Those who were confused get a double portion of revelation. Those all happened for me; that’s how I made the connection ;). And the friend that brought me anger, brought me great joy, but only because the gifts produced the fruit, and the Spirit did all the work!